Wendel is featured in the New York Real Estate Journal (NYREJ) for the Buffalo and Fort Erie Peace Bridge Authority project.
The Buffalo and Fort Erie Public Bridge Authority (Authority), owner and operator of the Peace Bridge—an international crossing between Buffalo, New York and Fort Erie, Ontario—received LEED Silver certification (New Construction 2009) for their U.S. commercial warehouse addition and renovation project. The Authority and consultant engineer and architect Wendel targeted credits for certification that support the use of sustainable practices in sourcing materials, encourage energy efficiency, and provide a healthy indoor environment for occupants.
Targeting LEED certification for this facility aligns with the Authority’s sustainability goals. A few of the strategies utilized to achieve certification include:
- Adaptive re-use of the facility – over 76% of existing structural items were reused;
- Diversion of over 84% of onsite generated construction debris from the landfill;
- Water efficiency strategies that reduced potable water usage by over 42%;
- Application of more than 28% of materials manufactured using recycled content;
- Commissioning of building systems to ensure they operate as designed;
- Conversion to new LED lighting throughout; and
- Use of low emitting materials for finishes.
The renovated Warehouse is projected to achieve over 22% in energy cost savings annually.